Bow Hunting Trip in Oregon with a M1161 & M1163

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow Hunting Trip in Oregon with a M1161 & M1163

Hello Growler Fans! I thought I'd post some pictures of our fun we had with our M1161 and M1163 in early September. We were at Logan Valley, Oregon which is in the middle of nowhere. Closest cell phone signal is about an hour drive away from camp.

We really did not have our vehicles off road ready, so we took lots and lots of tools with us. We had a generator, air compressor, angle grinder, hydraulic jacks, and every hand tool we could think of. I even brought a spare airshock... just in case.

We loaded up our 25 foot gooseneck trailer. I had to remove winches and rear storage rack to make them fit, but just drove them on. The air suspension was awesome... just lowered them to Transport mode and they sit down solid. If only the Growlers had tiedown spots LOL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	One badass trailer.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	901.5 KB
ID:	4733‚Äč
    Maybe it goes without saying, but our fully loaded trailer got a lot of attention. I had a 7 hour drive to get to Logan Valley and lots of heads were turning as we went by. This was one bad ass looking truck and trailer (GVW just under 24k).

We made the journey with no issues.... love my 5.9 Cummins Dodge... she pulled the big trailer just great.

Upon arrival, unloading was a bit sketchy since the M1163 air compressor system wasn't really working yet (works for CTIS but I think my suspension valves are clogged). I used the generator and air compressor to air them up by hand.

Chomping at the bit to start off-roading I quickly got in the M1161 and started going up a brutally steep rocky slope. My first impression of the 61 was CRAP! I was spinning out, tipping between diagonal tires, WTF? This thing couldn't climb a slope that I can do in my Dodge! Oops... forgot I had the air suspension at fully ground clearance. My shocks were basically hard as a rock and duh.... not good for climbing. I lowered the suspension to the black marks and tried again. Now we are talking! The 61 climbed up the slope with ease.

Name:	Growlers at camp.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	848.0 KB
ID:	4734

I will continue in a bit.

We spent 10 days driving both the M1161 and the M1163 around. The 3rd seat in the 63 wasn't used so much as a seat, but instead was great for standing between the rear roll cage. Great for looking around as we were crawling around everywhere. We also often stood in the back rear seats on the 61.

Name:	Trail Riding in the M1161.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	605.0 KB
ID:	4737
    My twins (aged 13) spent a lot of time driving. They had smiles until their faces hurt. The rear storage rack came in handy for grabbing a big log.

Name:	Storage on M1161 is perfect for logs.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	4738
    Took my wife for a ride... views here are amazing:

Name:	Taking the wife for a ride.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	4739

The M1163 with its short wheelbase could crawl over anything. Pictures don't do it justice. The next few pictures were on ground extremely steep!

Name:	M1163 offroad1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	4740

Name:	m1163 offroad 2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1,022.5 KB
ID:	4741

Name:	m1163 offroad 3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	4742
    When our adventure was over, we still had some excitement. About 2 hours into my return home, I blew out 2 tires on the trailer. Thank goodness we had tools and a spare.

Name:	Trailer Tire blowout.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	4743
    I only had one spare, but we figured we could limp home on 7 of the 8 tires since I was below capacity on the trailer.
    After a 3 hour unload/repair/reload we were back on the road.

Name:	Back on the road with 7 out of 8 tires.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	4744
    Little did we know we were headed back through one of the worst forest fires in Oregon. The smoke started getting thick. 6 hours after we made it through, 86 miles of HW22 was closed because it was all burning.

Name:	Entering the smoke.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	4745

In conclusion. These Growlers are badass! My only complaint is I never got to use the winches because we couldn't get them stuck!

AR

Comment

Working...
    X