Installing an aftermarket Trans controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an aftermarket Trans controller

The TCU in my Growler was bad, so I installed a new stand alone TCU made buy FiTech.

Not the greatest with electrical, did you hook up the tps? If so, what was the wiring?

Comment

I will look at it tomorrow and let you know which wires went where at the TPS

Comment

Comment

In hopes it may help others in throttle position sensor (TPS) diagnostics or installing alternative controls, this outlines the testing I do to quickly identify unknown TPS connections:
          If using a TPS with unknown connections; it is recommended to test the TPS with an ohm meter in order to determine the connection of each pin without risking damage by applying sensor power randomly. This can be accomplished on the bench or with the engine off and TPS disconnected:
          • Assign a letter to each pin. Prepare to record resistance test results (A-B, A-C, B-C, etc)
          • Attach the ohm meter to two pins, and operate the throttle from closed (idle) to wide-open (WOT), recording the results.
          • Find the pair of pins where the resistance does not change significantly from idle to WOT. These are your two power pins.
          • The remaining pin is your Signal pin.
          • In order to determine which power pin is V+ and which is GND, test ohms between the Signal pin and one power pin.
          • In idle position; if ohms are low that power pin is GND. If ohms are high that power pin is V+.

Comment

of course mine would have different color wiring, but will figure it out

Comment

What a shock

Comment

I am having problems with the FiTech controller, I will create a new video soon. If you are looking for a new controller don’t buy the FiTech

Comment

After finally determining that Fi-Tech had misrepresented the Go-Shift TCU, after many hours of phone calls emails, physical troubleshooting, I returned it to JEGS and I bought an EZ-TCU. The installation was just as simple except I had to add a engine RPM signal generator. But now I finally have a working transmission. Here is my YouTube video about all of that.

Comment

Wish I would’ve waited to buy one since I am still in the shop waiting on the last few pieces

Comment

Here is a heads up on pcs fuse 15 popping we trouble shot two growlers i own back to back no shift in limp mode. It was the imput speed sensor in trans. If u pull the pan disconnect grey connector. And u stop pipping the fuse its most likey this is your problem. Crazy i have two growlers with this issue. To bad trans had to be pulled for imput speed sensor replacement.

Comment

• M1163
                        M1163 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jonywpns Just curious, where is the input speed sensor located? Is it part of the trans or a Growler Inc added aftermarket item? There seems to be a number of Growlers failing to limp mode, maybe this is a weak item we need to be replace or have spares on hand? Any additional info/ part numbers would be appreciated Cheers Paul

If we are hunting this issue, note the info in the video, which also indicates a bad input bushing is commonly the source of 3rd-gear start. Check it while you're in there. 4L60E family includes 4L70E.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4L70E Input Speed Sensor ISS.png Views:	0 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	3816
                      Last edited by W427; 06-15-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I was asked about and wondering myself, if the fan for the trans cooler was controlled by the trans controller.... It is not, my trans cooler fan still works with the aftermarket trans controller. installed and the factory TCU not installed.
                        Last edited by Rasmusrentals; 07-07-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I finally have an answer for the question of the transmission fan control.

Yes, the Transmission ECM does control the trans cooler fan... It also controls the turbo wastegate controller. If you have to change your trans controller you must install a wastegate regulator otherwise you will only get 7 psi boost maximum.

Here is a video I made that covers the wastegate issue.

You will also need to either install a fan controller (or temp switch to control the relay) of some sort or possibly connect the trigger wire on your engine coolant fan relay so that it also triggers the relay for the trans cooler fan, at least that way it will come on when the coolant reaches 160 deg.

Comment

Working...
                          X