Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Power Steering Hydraulics Leak (Ratchety Wheel Movements)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Power Steering Hydraulics Leak (Ratchety Wheel Movements)

I'm looking for any knowledge or ideas on what could help get rid of the jerky/ ratchet steering movements in the front wheels on a BRT power steering system. Currently I have replaced the front hydraulic cylinder (rebuilt by Appleton Rack and Pinion), replaced the top seal on the Woodward Servo unit mounted on the firewall below the steering wheel, replaced hydraulic hoses running from the Power Steering Reservoir, Hydrobooster, Hydraulic Filter area, and replaced the Hydraulic Filter.
    Each time I have tried to purge the system of air by lifting the front end and turning the wheels from limit to limit until I don't see anymore bubbles coming up in the Power Steering Reservoir, and each time I have seemingly "fixed" the issue only to have it return when driving or turning the wheel quickly in one direction then the other. I have checked the Hydraulic lines and there does appear to be any visible leaks or drips of fluid either in the front or in the rear steering unit. Today I am investigating and I hissing noise coming from under the center counsel under the gauge cluster which I previously thought was related to the Hydrobooster (I read some hissing and whining is normal for these systems?) This thread is a continuation of posts that I put in the "Front Steering Update". I will try to figure out how to quote the posts with the relevant info here.

Thanks for any tips or ideas in figuring this out.
    NorthWind529
    Last edited by NorthWind529; 08-10-2020, 10:44 AM.

Power Steering is fixed, turns out it was the adjustment screws on the Woodward Servo unit, one was all the way in and one almost falling out. from what I understand these screws adjust the balance of the power steering. After adjusting these screws power steering worked great. Big headache, simple fix.

Comment

Congratulations! Was the loose screw the source of your air leak? As I don't have this issue, I have not looked into it, though it seems a number of others do or have. For future reference, do you have any findings or suggestions on general adjustments?
      W427
      Last edited by W427; 08-12-2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

My growler also has jerky steering. Can you post a picture of the screws you adjusted? And good work!

Thanks
        Dave

Comment

Ras1
          Ras1 Dave see if this helps Cheers Paul

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/PDF/...leshooting.pdf
          Skyhawk

Comment

Thank you. I would assume he means directional screws shown in red arrows.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200816-094908_Drive.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	4446

They say it's to control steering wander,

But i guess they also fixed the jerky steering?

Thanks
            Dave

Comment

Ras1
              Ras1
              NorthWind529
              NorthWind529

​​​​​​​Dave That’s what I read maybe Northwind can confirm?
              Paul
              Skyhawk

Comment

Yes the red arrows point to the screws I was adjusting, there is also one adjustment screw on the bottom of the servo( same location as the other two just on the opposite end of the servo) which was the source of my air leak. As far as Adjustments went the Bottom single screw was hissing and sucking air so I tightened it completely which stopped the air bubbles. The two adjustment screws under the steering wheel I loosened completely and counting how many turns in then back out half as many (trying to balance them) so both were equal. This has fixed my jerky steering completely. Just speculation here and to add to what
                Ras1
                Ras1 was saying when I was playing around with the adjustment screws it seems in my option the screws controlled how much pressure was going to the wheels when turning in a particular direction, and the jerky steering was caused when one screw was all the way in (sending full pressure) and the other was all the way out ( sending little to no pressure) and the PS cylinder was trying to fight itself to turn, as in the line sending little pressure is pushing against the line sending full pressure causing the ratchety movements. By balancing out the pressures the hydraulics now have a Give and Take relationship where one side is sending enough pressure to push the fluid out the other side and vice versa when turning. Just my Option on what the hydraulics seemed to be doing. As far as general advice I put lock tight on the bottom screw so it never messes with me again but leaving the top ones just incase I need further adjustments later on. Thanks to
                M1163
                M1163 on finding the Info on the Woodward Servo, I could have saved myself a few days of bleeding lines and a headache if I sat down and read all the Literature on what I was working with. ha . Anyway thanks for all the help everyone and info apologies for not responding sooner

Comment

perfect information. I am going to adjust the screws in a few days and will give a report if this too fixed my jerky steering.

thanks,
                  dave

Comment

NorthWind529
                    NorthWind529 Thanks. Appreciate the follow up. Cheers Paul
                    Skyhawk

Comment

No problem, good luck
                      Ras1
                      Ras1 hopefully it fixes your steering too,

Comment

Woodward Steering Servo Info

The file below is a ZIP file of PDFs from Woodward Steering on the steering servo type used in M1161 and M1163 ITVs originally. Note that I3 refurbished ITVs may use a different servo type. The files include parts catalog, rebuild info, service and troubleshooting, with a link to the Woodward Steering site, collected together for a single download.

For the topic of steering centering with adjusting screws and anchor screw use, see: 4a. Changing the torsion bar in inline and type HE-HL servos.pdf. The link allows single or all files download. Hope that helps!
                        ----------
                        ITV Steering Info.zip
                        (DropBox - 15.8 mB)
                        ----------

Comment

Well, I tried to adjust my steering servo. Turns out I have the sweet steering servo, not the woodward. No adjustments on sweet servo. Guess I live with rachety jerky steering? Not horrible but not smooth.

Comment

Working...
                          X