Long term preventative maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term preventative maintenance

My steering was squeaky and loud and difficult. 'Sounds' definitely pointed to the steering column in the cab.

I should have taken pictures and done a post on removal, anyone reading this just ask and I'll give you the tips on the hard things.

Anyway, I got the wheel & tilt steering components off, found about 10oz of standing water, along with all the mud, grease, some metal shavings and corroded aluminum bits and paint that could have collected in 10yrs there Click image for larger version

Name:	20200531_171903.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	3556 . No way to drain. Well, except by slow slow seep through the now dry contact bearing (I don't know a good name for this, it's just a heavy plastic against metal, no roller function down there.

Anyway, I drilled this hole, immediately. 1/4" for anyone who cares. It would have been better a little closer to the base, but I wanted to still it while still installed on the vehicle so I could see if anyone could do this at anytime. Yes, anyone can, at any time, can just tilt the wheel up and drill this hole.
    Pedigree: April 2010 build,SN: LSV118, RN: 626540, revisions unknown but doubtful...my girl looks like she was forgotten out back behind the barn...

Gah. 😲 How low can you drill the hole to catch the bottom for complete draining? At the flange, or higher?

Comment

Apologies for that, I forgot to take the installed picture. To answer Whiskey's question, I took a bad angle. Best value would be drilling as close to the base of that cone as possible. Their is an inner ring, and it seems separated, but water WILL fill up enough to start filling the inner ring, then theer is no way for it to get out but through damage to the steering shaft. The steering shaft is probably 5/8" round bar steel. I had 1/8" pitting all around the base due to this water accumulation.

First picture is installed and drilled (you can see where the drill bit hit below that). Second picture is down the throat of it while I had it taken apart, you can see the rust and the inner ring face.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200601_203701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	3576Click image for larger version  Name:	20200531_171859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	3577
      Pedigree: April 2010 build,SN: LSV118, RN: 626540, revisions unknown but doubtful...my girl looks like she was forgotten out back behind the barn...

Comment

• W427
        W427
        W427 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, got it. Thanks for the updated pics. So, toward the driver, as low as feasible, but certainly below the top of the shaft bushing mount. 👍 I have a hunch that Flaming River did not envision topless cars, open sunroofs, convertibles or ITVs. 😄

Agreed. Just one more system of systems on a product without discussion with the original engineers and the system engineer on how it was gonna get used.

Comment

Working...
      X