Rear Steer Power Switch - MI 11172A/11627A-IN/1 & MI 11172A/11167A-23/1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Steer Power Switch - MI 11172A/11627A-IN/1 & MI 11172A/11167A-23/1A

I already posted the MI (Modification Instructions) for the rear steer power switch but just wanted to show an example as my power switch has been removed. I will be reconnecting it and will post what I find here.
    Attached to this thread is a picture of my dash where you can see the plug and two small holes where the rear steer power switch label was removed (rivet holes). I will attach a screenshot of what the switch should look like and will also put the MI here just in case some of you missed it on the other thread. If your rear steer is inoperable chances are this modification was conducted. It will be pretty easy to reverse

I also attached the Rear-Steer safety pin modification to this thread. The safety pin was a later modification so most of our growlers are just welded or steering components completely removed. Also, it seems to be common to find the locking pin warning sticker but no locking pin. You should find the hole back there but you won't be able to see it if the rear steering lock is free. Simply push it back in manually and you should see the safety pin hole.

note: There are phone numbers in these MIs that belong to the Marine Corps. I hate to state the obvious but don't go calling those asking for help/info. I promise they don't want to talk to you about a vehicle they got rid of.
    Attached Files

I have a switch where yours is missing but my switch is actually a master switch for the entire power supply of the vehicle.

Comment

• 1978ford250
      1978ford250 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats interesting! I’ve seen different toggle switches in that location. I was wondering what the difference was. That’s probably it then.
      I was looking at the wires they modified and it appears that they have just removed the need for that toggle switch to give power to the rear steer. This would make sense because there’s already a power switch next to the rear steer control joystick itself. The second toggle switch at the dash seems kind of redundant. It looks like removing the toggle switch ensures that you only have to used one toggle switch to give power to the unit.
      I am getting power to my rear steer but the wheels wont turn. On another note, Growler did a great job marking every wire so they are easy to trace and identify function.

At first glance I didn’t even realize what it was. The batteries were completely dead when I picked up my PM and the switch was left on the on position. It happens to be the only thing I haven’t had to open up so far. If you’re considering installing the master switch, I’d be happy to send you photos of the set up. Just let me know. Thanks for all of the great information you’re pushing out!

Comment

• W427
      W427 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like to know! I found when removing my batteries (going away for a few weeks), that there was a small spark at the final terminal when I touched the cable to it. Everything was off for sure, so I'm wondering where the true "Master" switch is, if there is one. I know it's not the Start switch, as I can still energize stuff with that OFF. I do not have the second switch on the dash that some others have, and it would help with anti-theft planning.
      Last edited by W427; 03-08-2020, 05:24 AM. Reason: BTW

• 1978ford250
      1978ford250 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the more photos of these kinds of things the better! Thanks!

Here are a few pictures of the switch. If you look at them, you’ll see it toggle below the heater works as a true master switch.

Comment

Pacman5 - If you could check your Master Relay (battery compartment) and provide the basic cable connections? I just need basic, such as if the Master Relay is connected to interrupt the primary positive or negative cable. Also, if there is a relay on the smaller cable from between the two batteries? Mine only has a circuit breaker. Mine does not have the I3 relay upgrade, so I want to add it, but don't have the basic info. Thanks for any info you can provide! David

Comment

David,

sorry for not seeing this earlier. I’ll try to get tou the pictures this week.

Comment

• W427
          W427 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I want to try a different way to use a Master Relay (cut between the two batteries), and just need to compare stock I-Cubed wiring. Mine do not have the relay upgrade like yours.

W427 Here you go! I hope this was what you were looking for. If not, let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X