Engine Speed Sensor Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Speed Sensor Info

Can anyone tell me any info on the engine speed sensor that is located on the bellhousing of the transmission? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210524_1159069_2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	6196

For me - not yet. One of my summer projects will (hopefully) be to 'scope all of the various sensors for signal characteristics, which should help considerably with diagnostics and control options. Any info others can post about any sensors and controls is greatly appreciated. Even part numbers on components or photos can help to rapidly shrink the investigation effort. Thanks for the photo,
    diesel2727
    diesel2727.

Comment

diesel2727
      diesel2727 Not sure how useful this will be but possible unconfirmed part number is
      43019652 sensor
      2815-01-596-1670
      diesel engine speed sensor

Parts list here. Note these are unconfirmed but any lead is better than nothing.
      https://www.growlerforum.com/forum/g...n-s-crossovers

cheers Paul
      Skyhawk

Comment

Thanks! I am going to order both those sensors and see if either one of them works. I'll definitely post my findings!

Growl on!

Comment

diesel2727
          diesel2727 Two parts numbers but same part. The 43..... number is General Dynamics number for that NSN number
          Skyhawk

Comment

M1163
            M1163 I found the website https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/2815-01-597-2562.html that cross-referenced the General Dynamics to the DOD and even a Cummins part number. I have ordered the Cummins part number A026G499 and I'm hoping it will be the right one. I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

I accidentally destroyed the one on my 61. I just replaced it with one I had on my shelf for a Caterpillar transmission, it was a little shorter but it is long enough to get to the ring gear. It is nothing special, all that matters is correct thread, length, and having a deutch connector (although that can be easily remedied if you have no other options). To install it just run it down until it hits the teeth on the starter ring the back it off about 1/2 to 1/3 of a turn then tighten the jamb nut.

Comment

• W427
                W427
                W427 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great! I was looking to classify the sensor in order to find alternative sensors, as they are mostly generic.
                For comparison searching - are they 2-wire or 3-wire?
                Do any of the wires carry voltage (sensor power)? And if so, 5V, 8V, or 12V (plus ground and signal wires)?
                I'm betting these are generic biased Hall sensors, and really common and cheap if we know what we're looking for.

They are just a 2 wire magnetic switch, most likely a reed switch activated by the magnet that moves back and forth as the starter ring teeth go by it.
              I’ll send you the Cat part number just to help in identifying the action of the sensor

Comment

Caterpillar part number 193-0421 is the old number that changes to 318-1182 $130 USD from Cat.
              there is a company in Spain called Blumaq they sell them for $65 USD

Comment

The next time someone pulls an original sensor, please take photos and measurements. I know it is a 2-wire VR (variable reluctance) sensor, with many generic choices out there for alternatives. General Dynamics used a Cummins part, who likely used and re-numbered something already available, as they and others (like CAT) usually do.😉

Comment

Originally posted by W427 View Post
                  The next time someone pulls an original sensor, please take photos and measurements. I know it is a 2-wire VR (variable reluctance) sensor, with many generic choices out there for alternatives. General Dynamics used a Cummins part, who likely used and re-numbered something already available, as they and others (like CAT) usually do.😉

Comment

Working...
                  X