Soft-Tops and Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft-Tops and Doors

I spoke with Lynn today at BRETON INDUSTRIES, original soft-top/door maker for the LSV and PM, and she asked for a ball park number of people interested in Soft Top sets w/ doors?
    Not sure what costs will come out to, but $2500 is what the 4-door HMMWV costs. If anyone has interest, please let me know, and specifically which vehicle and how many sets. I will be passing this information on to her as soon as there is some interest.

Killjoy35
    Last edited by killjoy35; 02-05-2020, 02:04 PM.

killjoy35 Not sure if some members might find the $ a big pill to swallow, as an alternative, for the budget conscious - the cab top is the same for both LSV and PM vehicles and there may be more interest in this in the short term - comments please?

2510-01-604-8036 - CANVAS, FRONT (LSV & PM)
    Skyhawk

Comment

I have 4 Growlers and need 2 sets of tops and doors...all M-1161

Comment

Gah. Before I decided if I would buy one of these, I saw a box on auction with 4 pairs (8) complete doors for something like $180. Hindsight sucks. In a totally different perspective, a complete convertible top with zip-in window for my 1969 classic is under $500. Maybe double that with two doors?

I'm talking with a local boat fitter (also does car tops and seats), and he finally said (seeing photos on my phone) that it would be perhaps $400 labor for the two tops on the PM, using my originals for patterns. $600 with doors. All plus materials and hardware (vinyl fabric, vinyl windows, reinforcements, zippers, grommets, etc) "probably around $350-$450". I don't know what that would come to when reality hits, but it's very roughly $1000 for everything. He has no concern he can do it, but his largest concern was the specific material, and that something very close ("most people would never know") would be about that, but genuine exact material is an unknown cost. Remember, this is an old-as-dirt good guy, but a totally hunched estimate based on photos. <shrug>

Any chance they might supply just the door frames and hardware? It looks like we could bend-up our own, but I don't know if I have the patience.

Comment

• M1163
          M1163 commented
          Editing a comment
          W427 odcloth.com mention a "383" green vinyl on their website for M151 ( http://odcloth.com/m151.html ) - so I guess it's available somewhere.......

• W427
          W427 commented
          Editing a comment
          M1163 - Yes, I checked them out, and they have a great reputation. There is a 25% fee for original mil-spec late-model material in our color, but I'm guessing that is still under $1500 for everything. I'm assuming here, that there is less size and hardware than their example M170 (also 2-piece top plus doors), so a wild guess until I can chat with them and send one of my tops for their analysis. They may be able to get the original spec drawings to make them as they have for other vehicles. M170 example here: http://www.odcloth.com/weebeegraphics/40.jpg and price list here: http://odcloth.com/m170.html

Gents,
        I will call Lynn this week and give her a head count on soft-top sets.

KY35

Comment

• ascal454
          ascal454 commented
          Editing a comment
          Count me in, I'll take at least 2 full sets. Best, Art

I can reach out to them I have a dealer account for HMMWV soft top kits so they might have a dealer price for these or do a group buy.

Comment

killjoy35 recycled steel
          I think we need whatever info and options you can gather, with final figures or close estimates of what those options would cost.

It is tough for buyers to commit to so many unknowns, and with so many of us still without our vehicles.

For example, one of mine may need door handle hardware, but I haven't been able to get to it. Perhaps it's a simple repair, or I'd want to replace the whole door.

What we have here is a "Catch-22". If you can get a list of what they can provide currently with prices, realizing that the list could expand or prices change (or not) tomorrow; that would help move it forward for both us and suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by W427 View Post
            killjoy35 recycled steel
            I think we need whatever info and options you can gather, with final figures or close estimates of what those options would cost.

It is tough for buyers to commit to so many unknowns, and with so many of us still without our vehicles.

For example, one of mine may need door handle hardware, but I haven't been able to get to it. Perhaps it's a simple repair, or I'd want to replace the whole door.

What we have here is a "Catch-22". If you can get a list of what they can provide currently with prices, realizing that the list could expand or prices change (or not) tomorrow; that would help move it forward for both us and suppliers.
            I agree, I have been awaiting a return call from Lynn at Brenton. I have passed along a ball-park figure of demand for complete sets for both 1161/1163.

KY35

Comment

Please count me in for a M1163 if you can, but I’d really like to know the pricing before I pull the trigger.

thanks!

Comment

Check iron planet. They have pallets of M1163 parts including doors

Comment

And me as well to those interested in the soft top

Comment

DOORS — Before anyone gets stuck paying stupid prices for pallets of parts just to get a couple doors on a GP bid; I have a local fabricator that is ballparking at or under $200 for complete new door frames with hinges and interior handle - less outer handle and latch mechanism. I have found those parts online at $45/set. While only preliminary, and they are requesting a minimum of 10 sets due to custom jigs required, they would be complete and ready to assemble the latch set and cover with your new vinyl or canvas. More doors = lower price. PM me if interested in pursuing this with a group-buy directly to them. No promises at this point.

I am only presenting opportunity, willing to be the single POC to them to gather interest, and I will not be a middle-man! They have been in several "group" deals, don't want 50 calls and emails, and said that only 20% or so actually follow-through with money. However, If I can collect enough interested member screen names, they are willing to become members here and deal directly with all of us for actual purchase.

Comment

Awesome idea W427 Thanks for helping bring this as an option.

If this gets off the ground, the vendor does join and wants to follow thru, have them contact me here or at jasonwilliam AT gmail DOT com. You can tell them I'd be glad to add them as a "supporting vendor" and even give them their own subforum, if they felt they'd be willing to bring ideas like this and other products to market for us over time. If they've done "group buys" before, they'll be very familiar with what I'm talking about, and also are probably used to paying for it. Not here, not now. I'll set them up no charge and we can run that way indefinitely (if the forum takes off such that we end up with competing vendors for similar products, we'll reevaluate. Until then, lets do everything we can to help bring in aftermarket support... we all win if we can do that)

Thanks again!

Comment

• W427
                        W427 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No problem, and I'll pass-on the awesome info. They (and other companies) are already looking at stuff we need, and some we don't, such as PM rear roll-bars and compressor rear grating covers, 4-point harness mounts, LSV mount frames, driveshafts, CTIS spindles, axle boot sets, full axles for any of them, half-doors, skid-plates, gypsy racks, "bumpers", projector headlights, transmission controllers, starter parts, storage security, jacks, air bags, lines, stencil sets, control arms, etc. I and others will add these findings as they appear realistic in COTS cost, quantity, quality, and other parameters. I know this may upset certain military vehicle vendors (buy surplus and mark-up-up), but these are not constructed like most MVs, and are mostly available COTS, modified COTS or fabricated from end-to-end. They aren't as 'unique' in parts like the old war-horses. Need the bumpy rubber rifle rack straps? They are the same as used on our commercial fire extinguisher brackets and for sale online at commercial prices. ;-) What isn't, can be. That's the difference, and I'm happy to do my part for a thriving ITV community. Thanks for the support, BigJ.

I was on eBay and searched for Growler parts. There was a pair of Growler doors listed for $2,500. There should be a large market for Growler parts given the condition of them, including my M1163 which I just took delivery of and have only begun to evaluate.

Comment

Gents, Have not had any response from Brenton. I feel as though i'm being shunned but I understand nothing is normal right now. I will update as I get info. Until then, i'm personally open to any available links to soft -top/door producers.

Killjoy35

Comment

• imp
                          imp commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Is there any more Information about getting doors ?
                      Working...
                      X